History greets you at every turn. Use the guide to see our Heritage Moments.
The theatre was originally built by local contractor Bill Zaparaniuk in 1951 and replaced in 1958 as the Park Twin Theatre and gift shop. Visitors could choose from two different films each evening and a children’s matinee on rainy days.
Poor weather sometimes knocked out the power and, consequently, the movie! Zap or Zappie, as he was affectionately known by locals, sold the theatre in1987 and others have operated it since.
Merv and Kathy Weinrauch purchased the theatre in 1999 operating as Twin Pine Cinemas and adding the successful Pine & Fancy Sweet Dreams shop next door.
When Merv changed to digital projection in 2012, he donated one of the large reel projectors to the museum and explained the workings of this machine. (See short video below).
For almost twenty years the Reel Rave International Film Festival has shown films in the Twin Pine Cinemas. Volunteer organizers offer a variety of films and social events annually on a weekend in September.
For many years connected with the Mann Art Gallery of Prince Albert, it has been associated with the Waskesiu Recreation Association since 2015.
Locals, visitors, and film aficionados attend the Festival and enjoy the fall season in Prince Albert National Park.
The reel-to-reel projector didn't use a light bulb but instead light was created by burning a rod similar to an arc welder. The glass cup in the photo to the left caught the ashes as they fell off the burning rod. The film was very flammable so an attendant needed to be with the projector at all times when it was running.
Copyright © 2021 Waskesiu Heritage Museum.
We acknowledge that we are on Treaty 6/Métis territory.
All rights reserved. Reproduction without permission is prohibited.
Interested in using material and information on this site for educational purposes? Please contact us.
Web site by UncommonSense Business Solutions.